Basic Pizza Dough
- 1 packet active dry yeast (1/4 ounce)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or 3 cups whole wheat flour (if using whole wheat you may need an additional 2 to 4 Tbsp warm water)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Combine the yeast, sugar and water in a bowl and stir. Set aside for a few minutes until foamy.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture.
- Using your hand gradually stir, combining the flour and water/yeast mixture until a rough dough forms.
- Move the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-5 minutes. Form into a ball.
- Add the olive oil to a large bowl. Place the dough ball in the bowl and flip around a couple of times, using your hands to spread olive oil over the entire surface of the dough ball. Lightly cover the bowl and set aside in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Move dough to a lightly floured surface. Using the pads of your fingers, gradually move around the perimeter of the dough, pressing and increasing the dough in size. You can also pick up the dough and use your fists to gently stretch it into a larger circle.
- Use in your favorite pizza recipe!
- At 500 degrees, thin crust pizza will bake in 15-18 minutes and thick crust will take 20-25 minutes.