Air fryer broccolini is a simple and healthy vegetable side dish you can prepare in minutes! With its crisp-tender texture, vibrant color, and mellow flavor, roasted broccolini pairs well with so many foods. It's also a tasty treat to snack on straight from the air fryer! Oven instructions included.
What is broccolini?
Broccolini is a cross-breed of broccoli and Chinese broccoli (gai lan). With its delicate stems and tender florets, it is a nutrient-rich vegetable that lends itself well to roasting, steaming, sauteing, and air frying.
Air frying has become so popular in recent years for its ability to quickly cook all kinds of foods using significantly less oil than traditional deep frying (and often less oil than oven-roasting, too).
By air frying broccolini, you can retain its vibrant green color, preserve essential nutrients, and achieve that delightful roasted flavor that would take twice as long in the oven.
- broccolini - one bunch of fresh broccolini (about 8 ounces) serves two people. To prepare more, it's a good idea to air fry in batches. Luckily, that's easy to do with broccolini since it cooks so quickly!
- oil - any neutral oil you like to cook with, such as avocado or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- optional: lemon juice or other seasonings like garlic powder, nutritional yeast, or blends like za'atar or herbs de Provence.
See recipe card below for quantities and the full recipe.
How to Prepare Broccolini
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (177°C) or oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Prep the broccolini: rinse well, pat dry, and trim any leaves and tough ends of the stems. Tip! Slice extra thick stalks in half lengthwise so they cook as quickly as smaller, thinner pieces. If some are extra large, you may want to cut into thirds.
- Place the broccolini in a large bowl and toss with the oil, salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you'd like to add.
- Arrange the seasoned broccolini in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Avoid overcrowding to ensure that the broccolini cooks evenly and quickly. If needed, cook the broccolini in multiple batches.
- Air fry the broccolini for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on your desired level of tenderness and your air fryer. It's a good idea to shake the basket and check on the broccolini after 3 to 4 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- After the initial cook time, poke the stalks with a fork to test for doneness. Broccolini tastes best when crisp-tender. If desired, return it to the air fryer for another minute or two.
- Garnish with a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of sea salt and serve hot. It's great as a side dish, added to salads, and as a snack.
Optional Tips and Variations
- For added flavor, experiment with different seasonings like garlic powder, dried herbs, or nutritional yeast. Each of these ingredients can lend a unique twist to your air fried broccolini.
- Try squeezing a fresh lemon wedge over the cooked broccolini before serving.
- If you prefer a lighter option, you can omit the oil and simply season the broccolini with lemon juice and your favorite herbs and spices.
Oven Roasted Broccolini
Don't have an air fryer? Roasting broccoli in the oven is easy, too!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash, trim, and season the broccolini as described for the air fryer version.
- Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender and beginning to char.
- Add a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of salt, and serve hot.
Equipment & Batch Size
I use this 6-quart basket-style air fryer. Any comparable air fryer is fine for this recipe. If you plan to double the recipe, you'll want to work in batches so the air fryer isn't overcrowded.
- Make sure the tips of the broccolini florets are coated with oil to help prevent burning.
- Air fryers vary, so keep a close eye on the food the first time you try any new air fryer recipe. I suspect our Instant Pot Vortex air fryer runs hot, so you may need to adjust the temp or cook time for your appliance.
More Air Fryer Vegetables
Air Fryer Broccolini (With Oven Instructions)
- 1 bunch fresh broccolini - about 8 ounces/227 grams
- 1 tablespoon oil - such as avocado, grapeseed, or olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- juice from half of a lemon
- Also try other seasonings like garlic powder, nutritional yeast, dried herbs, or blends like za'atar
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (175°C) or oven to 400°F (200°C).
- To prepare the broccolini, rinse well, pat dry, and trim any leaves and tough ends of the stems. Slice thick stalks in half lengthwise so they cook as quickly as smaller pieces. If some are very thick, slice into thirds.1 bunch fresh broccolini
- Place the broccolini in a large bowl and toss with the oil, salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you'd like to add. Make sure the tips of the florets are coated with oil to help prevent burning. Arrange in a single layer in the air fryer basket (or on a baking sheet). Avoid overcrowding so that it cooks evenly and quickly, working in batches if doubling the recipe. Air fry the broccolini for 5 to 8 minutes (or bake for 12 to 15 minutes).1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper, to taste
- Check the broccolini and shake the basket at the halfway point. After the initial cook time, poke the stalks with a fork to test for doneness. Broccolini tastes best when crisp-tender. If desired, return it to the air fryer for another minute or two. Garnish with a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle of sea salt and serve hot.juice from half of a lemon
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com.