This air fryer cabbage recipe is SO quick and simple, not to mention healthy! Water added to the bottom of the air fryer helps the cabbage cook, and plenty of fresh lemon juice adds moisture and flavor. Start to finish you can have this healthy cabbage side dish on the table in about 15 minutes! Vegan, oil-free, and allergy-friendly.
Why You'll Love Air Fryer Cabbage
Probably my favorite thing about the air fryer is how simple it is to quickly cook vegetables.
We also love that cabbage can be cooked in the air fryer without the addition of oil. If you enjoy low-fat, low-calorie cabbage dishes I think you'll love it prepared this way, too.
In just 15 minutes you'll be enjoying this crisp-tender, lightly seasoned cabbage! It's totally versatile, pairs well with almost any main dish, and makes a great snack.
Here's what you'll need for this quick and simple air fryer cabbage.
- cabbage - I used green but I'm sure you can air fry red cabbage, too! The amount you can cook will depend on the size of your air fryer. I find that about 12 ounces of cabbage, or half of a small/medium head is easy to do in one batch.
- lemon juice - you'll use the juice from half of one large lemon; no need for precise measurements here. The remaining lemon can be served with the air fried cabbage.
- seasoning - you'll need salt and pepper; you can also add flavor with Cajun seasoning blend or any other spice blend you enjoy and that pairs well with lemon.
See recipe card below for quantities and full recipe.
How To Cook Cabbage in the Air Fryer
- Discard any loose or wilted leaves on the outside of the cabbage. Slice it in half through the core. Then slice one half into 4 or 5 wedges so that each wedge has some core holding it together. Drizzle both sides of the wedges with lemon juice, then sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add ½ cup water to the bottom of the air fryer and preheat it to 360 degrees F. Once preheated, arrange the wedges in the basket. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cabbage is as done as you like.
Hint: since we're not using oil on the cabbage, the water in the bottom of the air fryer helps to lightly steam the cabbage while also roasting. This prevents it from drying out.
Cabbage wedges can also be roasted in the oven if you don't have an air fryer.
Cut and season the cabbage as instructed, then bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes, carefully flipping the wedges at the halfway point.
Or serve air fryer cabbage as a light side dish with plant-based mains like:
- Hearty Chickpea Loaf
- Beyond Meat Meatloaf
- Vegan Seitan Roast
- Slow Cooker BBQ Soy Curls
- Mushroom-Barley Burgers
- Vegan Turkey Roast
- seasoning - instead of Cajun seasoning try a chipotle lime blend, harissa, or Old Bay.
- lemon - I haven't tried this recipe with other citrus, but I bet lime juice paired with Mexican-inspired spices would also be great!
- with oil - if you include oil in your diet, feel free to rub the cabbage with oil before adding the lemon juice.
- spicy - add a few dashes of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Or serve with spicy harissa dressing.
You'll need an air fryer for this recipe, of course! I use the 6 quart Instant Pot Vortex and really enjoy the design and how easy it is to operate.
You'll also need a large knife to prepare the cabbage.
Air fryer cabbage is best served immediately, but leftovers can be refrigerated for later. Reheat it in the air fryer, making sure to add more water to the bottom, or in a microwave.
I don't recommend freezing the air fried cabbage.
Cut the cabbage into wedges that are thick enough to hold up in the air fryer but not so thick that they don't cook through. Referring to the photos should help!
And remember to keep the core intact so the wedges hold together. Of course, even if the cabbage falls apart it's no big deal. It will still taste great!
And finally, like most air fryer recipes, it's a good idea to keep a close eye on the food the first time you try a new recipe. You may find you need to slightly adjust the time for your air fryer.
You might also like:
If you enjoy light, low-calorie preparations of veggies, check out this seasoned broccoli rice. We love it so much it's become a routine way to enjoy broccoli in our house!
Air Fryer Cabbage Wedges (Oil-Free)
- ½ small/medium head of green cabbage - about 12 ounces
- ½ of a lemon
- approx. 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, optional - or use another spice blend you enjoy
- black pepper
- Review the Top Tips and Variations above. Add ½ cup water to the bottom of an air fryer and preheat to 360 degrees F.
- If starting with a whole head of cabbage, discard any loose or wilted leaves from the outside. Slice in half through the core. Then slice one half into 4 or 5 equal-size wedges so that each wedge has some core holding it together. Save the other half of the cabbage for another dish, or prepare two batches in the air fryer.
- Coat both sides of the wedges with lemon juice (I used half of a lemon for 4 wedges), then sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Arrange the wedges in the air fryer. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cabbage is as done as you like. You can flip the cabbage at the halfway point if you like, but it isn't necessary. Some of the exterior bits will blacken. This is okay! Either eat or discard; it's up to you.
- Serve hot with an extra squeeze of fresh lemon, if desired. Enjoy the cabbage leaves but discard the core if it's too tough.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com.