In a hurry? Drink your oatmeal! This frothy, creamy, yet light breakfast beverage is perfect for mornings when you don't have the appetite or time for a full meal but need a little something for the road. With Omega-3-rich hemp seeds, rolled oats, and a touch of cinnamon and sweetener, it's a blank slate for your favorite spices, extracts, nuts and seeds. Vegan and FREE from refined sugar, gluten, and soy.
So what the heck is this Blended Oatmeal Drink?
Think of this oat-based breakfast beverage like this:
- It's like oat milk but not strained.
- It's like blended oatmeal but not cooked.
- It's like overnight oats except that there's ZERO planning ahead.
- And it's kind of like a smoothie except that there's no fruit in it, and it's not as thick.
Okay, so now that we've created a new category in our minds for this drink, let me tell you when and why it comes in handy!
Need a quick breakfast? Drink Your Oatmeal!
This oat breakfast drink came about one morning when I wanted a little something before going to the gym. I knew I didn't have time to digest a full breakfast, but I also knew I was getting too hungry to coast through the workout on my morning coffee alone. I like to run on an empty stomach, but I find that any sort of strength training requires some calories first!
There are three main things I usually try to accomplish with my morning routine and breakfast:
- consume flax, chia, or hemp seeds in some form
- keep breakfast low glycemic
And this drink accomplishes all of those things! It's my new favorite morning beverage because it's:
- creamy yet light
- SUPER quick and easy (we're talking 3 minutes max)
- filled with fiber, complex carbohydrates, protein, and essential fatty acids
- very lightly sweetened with a spoonful of coconut sugar, maple syrup, a pitted date, or your sweetener of choice
- and endlessly versatile!
You can also enjoy half of it on the way to work, pop it into the fridge, and then finish it in the afternoon when you start feeling snack-ish. Or maybe even sneak a shot of espresso in there for a mid-day boost.
Still didn't finish the whole drink? It tastes just as good the next morning!
Try it with chai, gingerbread, or pumpkin pie spices. Add cocoa and a splash of peppermint extract for a minty fresh drink! You can also add a spoonful of your favorite nut or seed butter to make it thicker. And of course, just add fruit if you're in the mood for an oat smoothie!
I hope you enjoy this "Oatmeal-To-Go" Breakfast Drink. If you find a delicious combination of flavors you love please share it with us in the comments below. And if you share a photo on facebook or insta just tag me with @myquietkitchen to show off your creamy oat smoothie.
More quick breakfast ideas:
Blended Oat Breakfast Drink
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or other
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup rolled oats, certifed GF if needed
- 1 to 2 Tbsp maple syrup, coconut sugar, or sweetener of choice
- 2 Tbsp hemp hearts
- ½ tsp vanilla or chocolate extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed for about 30 seconds.
- Pour into a travel mug. Top with extra cinnamon, if desired, and enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com. For the most accurate nutrition information we recommend calculating it yourself to reflect the specific ingredients used in your dish.