This light and creamy oat breakfast drink is perfect for mornings when you don't have the time or appetite for a full meal but need a little something to start the day. Made with rolled oats, Omega-3-rich hemp seeds, and a touch of cinnamon and sweetener, it's hydrating, nutritious, and versatile! Switch things up with your favorite spices, extracts, nuts, and seeds. Or add protein powder to make it more filling. This oatmeal drink is vegan and free from refined sugar, gluten, and soy.
What is a blended oatmeal drink?
Like a hybrid between oat milk and a smoothie without fruit, this oat-based breakfast drink is similar to:
- oat milk but not strained, so you get all of the beneficial fiber from the oats.
- like blended oatmeal but not cooked.
- like overnight oats but with ZERO planning ahead.
- And it's kind of like a smoothie except that there's no fruit, and it's not as thick.
Okay, so now that we've created a new category in our minds for this refreshing breakfast beverage, I'll explain how and when it comes in handy!
Need a quick breakfast? Drink Your Oatmeal!
This oat drink came about one morning when I wanted a little something before going to the gym.
I knew I didn't have time to digest a full breakfast, but I also knew I was getting too hungry to coast through the workout on my morning coffee alone. I like to run on an empty stomach, but I find that strength training requires some calories first!
There are three main things I usually try to accomplish with my morning routine and breakfast:
- consume flax, chia, or hemp seeds in some form
- keep breakfast low glycemic
And this drink accomplishes all of those things! It's my new favorite morning beverage because it's:
- creamy yet light
- very inexpensive
- quick and easy (we're talking 3 minutes max)
- filled with fiber, complex carbohydrates, protein, and essential fatty acids
- very lightly sweetened with a spoonful of coconut sugar, maple syrup, a pitted date, or your sweetener of choice
- and endlessly versatile!
You can also enjoy half of it on the way to work, pop it into the fridge, and then finish it in the afternoon when you start feeling snack-ish. Or maybe even sneak a shot of espresso in there for a mid-day boost.
Still didn't finish the whole drink? It tastes just as good the next morning!
You only need a handful of ingredients to make it:
- rolled oats - I like to use regular, old fashioned rolled oats for this recipe but quick oats also work.
- hemp seeds - these are great for blending because they're softer than other nuts and seeds, so they blend more easily, and they add essential amino acids and healthy Omega-3 fatty acids to the drink.
- non-dairy milk - any milk you enjoy is perfect here, such as oat, almond, soy, etc.
- sweetener - if you want a little extra carbohydrate energy in the morning, dates or maple syrup are easy. Or use your favorite non-caloric sweetener for a sugar-free breakfast drink.
Amounts and full recipe below.
- Try it with chai or pumpkin spice blend.
- Add cocoa and a splash of peppermint extract for a mint chocolate drink!
- You can also add a spoonful of your favorite nut or seed butter to make it thicker and more filling.
- And of course, just add fruit if you're in the mood for an oat smoothie!
I hope you enjoy this simple oatmeal breakfast drink. If you find a delicious combination of flavors you enjoy please share it with us in the comments below. And if you share a photo on facebook or insta just tag me with @myquietkitchen to show off your creamy oat smoothie.
More quick breakfast ideas:
- 2-Minute Easy Vegan Yogurt Oats
- Antioxidant Tofu Smoothie
- Tropical Carrot Cake Smoothie
- Berries and Greens Breakfast Pudding
- Protein Overnight Oats
- Creamy Cucumber Smoothie
Blended Oat Breakfast Drink
- high-speed blender - or standard blender
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk - or your favorite non-dairy milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup rolled oats - certifed GF if needed
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons maple syrup, coconut sugar, or sweetener of choice
- 2 Tablespoons hemp hearts
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or chocolate extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- handful of ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed for about 30 seconds. Taste and adjust sweetness and flavor as desired.
- Pour into a travel mug. Top with extra cinnamon, if desired, and enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com.