A spicy, vegan twist on a classic, this Carrot Raisin Salad with Tahini and Sriracha is perfect alongside a sandwich or even atop a big green salad. And you can easily tailor the tahini dressing to be more or less spicy and/or sweet. Perfect for quick lunches or picnics and parties, this vegan carrot salad comes together in just 15 minutes and is also oil-free and gluten-free.
Earlier this summer at Asheville VeganFest, I had the pleasure of attending a cooking demo held by the lovely Lauren Eller Vaught of Edible Musings. Lauren made several delicious, whole-food, plant-based recipes for us to try. One was a kale salad using a dressing very similar to the one I’m sharing here. The dressing was so good with its balance of salty, sweet, and earthy, and so easy to prepare, of course I started adding it to everything in the weeks that followed.
I already had carrot salad on my mind but was thinking about doing a curry version (which I still think sounds amazing), but I couldn’t resist using this dressing first. It works perfectly with the mild, natural sweetness of the carrots. I added sriracha for a little zip and because spicy and sweet are such a great match.
I hope you enjoy this versatile, fresh carrot salad recipes. And how about this little perk: as opposed to traditional carrot salad made with egg-based mayo, you can take this on your next summer picnic and not worry about spoilage. Bonus!
You might also like:
- Sweet Potato Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Pasta Salad with Parsley-Dill Pesto
- Kale Slaw with Harissa Dressing
Carrot Raisin Salad with Tahini and Sriracha
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2-3 tsp sriracha hot sauce, optional
- juice from half a lemon
- 2-3 Tbsp water, as needed for thinner consistency
For the salad:
- 1 1/4 lbs. carrots, freshly grated (5-6 cups)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 Tbsp hemp hearts or other nuts or seeds, optional
- In a large bowl combine the dressing ingredients and stir well.
- Wash and peel the carrots. Grate them with a box grater or use the shredder/grater attachment of a food processor.
- Pour the grated carrots into the bowl with the dressing and stir to incorporate.
- Fold in the raisins and seeds.