This vegan Rosemary Potato Salad comes together in about 40 minutes and is a perfect side dish for any day of the week. Dressed with a garlic and rosemary infused olive oil and paired with haricot verts, onion, and tempeh bacon, it’s also perfect for summer parties and cookouts.
The smell of rosemary is one of my absolute favorite things. With our rosemary bush growing like a weed this year, I’ve been excited to use fresh rosemary wherever I can. Obviously, the combination of rosemary and potatoes is pretty classic, and for good reason. But for a while I distracted myself, experimenting with lemon rosemary popsicles, rosemary biscuits, and even a savory granola bar. While all of these were good enough to revisit in the future, I came back to basics with this perfect combo, Rosemary Potato Salad with Haricot Verts and Tempeh Bacon.
The quick garlic and rosemary infused olive oil distributes aromatic and irresistible flavor over every inch of the potatoes. Then fresh lemon juice and sea salt join the party. It’s such a simple and delicious combination.
Side note: While I don’t always use oil, I feel the extra virgin olive oil is totally worth it in this particular dish. If you prefer an oil-free potato salad, I recommend cashew butter or vegetable broth in its place.
For a smoky and rich quality, I went with homemade tempeh bac-un (recipe coming soon). Lightlife’s Organic Fakin’ Bacon Tempeh would also be perfect. Just chop it up and sear in a skillet, stirring occasionally, until it begins to crisp around the edges. Alternatively, bake the crumbled tempeh it in a 350 degree oven, stirring once or twice, until hot and slightly crispy and voila! Vegan bacon bits.
Rosemary Potato Salad with Tempeh Bacon and Haricot Verts
- 1 3/4 - 2 lbs potatoes, such as Red, New or Yukon Gold (I used 6 med/large Yukon Gold), cut into large bite-size wedges
- 10 oz haricot vert, ends trimmed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil OR cashew butter for oil-free version, thin with water or broth as needed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, needles removed and finely chopped (about 1 Tbsp)
- 2 - 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Tempeh Bacon, cooked and crumbled; use as much as you like
- Make the infused oil: peel and mince the garlic, chop the rosemary, and add both to a small bowl with the olive oil (or cashew butter).
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Wash and cut the potatoes. Cook potatoes until fork tender but still firm, about 10-12 minutes depending on size. Using a mesh skimmer or slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a large serving bowl.
- Add the haricot vert and onion to the simmering water and cook 5 minutes. Drain in a colander. Rinse green beans with cold water to reduce temperature. Alternatively, dunk in an ice bath to preserve their bright green color. Add haricot vert and onion to the serving bowl with the potatoes.
- Add lemon juice to the infused oil and pour onto the vegetables. Season with salt and stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with tempeh bacon bits and serve.