These chocolate chip pecan cookies are wonderfully rich and filled with chocolate chips (or chunks), pecans, and orange zest. Ready in 30 minutes, they're very easy to make and are a delightful vegan Christmas cookie. Perfect for gifting and sharing at parties!
Why You'll Love Them
During the holiday season it's always nice to have a few dependable, crowd-pleasing cookie recipes in your back pocket. And these vegan chocolate chip pecan cookies are perfect!
Made with semi-sweet chocolate, nutty pecans, and aromatic orange zest and extract, they're wonderfully rich and perfectly crisp on the outside.
All you need are 11 basic ingredients and 25 minutes to make a batch.
Bonus! You can switch up the additions for endless variety. Try them with dried cranberries, orange zest, and walnuts, or add holiday spices... whatever your heart desires!
- flour - regular all-purpose or a gluten-free flour blend such as King Arthur's 1:1
- sugar - in the U.S. buying organic sugar is the easiest way to make sure it is vegan and hasn't been processed with bone char.
- coconut oil - look for oil labeled "refined" or "deodorized." It doesn't smell or taste like coconut, unlike raw/virgin coconut oil. The higher saturated fat content of coconut oil is perfect for that classic cookie texture.
- raw pecan halves
- chocolate - to keep the recipe vegan, look for dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks. Alternatively, use a bar of chocolate and chop into chunks.
Like most cookie recipes, prep is super simple. So even if you're not an experienced baker, you can do this!
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. And combine the wet ingredients in a small bowl. Stir the two together to form a dough.
- Fold in the pecans and chocolate. Use about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie. Roll to form a ball, then gently flatten the dough between your palms so it's more of a cookie shape.
- Bake in a fully preheated 375 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden on the bottom.
Tip: the cookies don't spread much during baking, so you will likely be able to fit them all on one cookie sheet.
- flour - a gluten-free baking blend may be used instead of all-purpose flour
- pecans - walnuts are also delicious and the perfect texture in these cookies.
The cookies will be very soft right out of the oven. To check for doneness, use a spatula to carefully peek at the underside, which should be lightly golden. After about 5 minutes the cookies will be firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
More Vegan Cookie Recipes
I hope you enjoy the cookies! If you give them a try be sure to rate the recipe and comment below to let us know.
Chocolate Chip Orange Pecan Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup refined coconut oil, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated orange zest, packed
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup raw pecan halves, chopped
- ⅓ cup non-dairy chocolate chunks, roughly chopped - or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.1 cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup cane sugar, ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Measure the coconut oil, then soften it in a mug in the microwave or in a small saucepan on the stove. It doesn't need to be fully melted. To the oil add the vanilla, orange zest, orange extract, 2 tablespoons of milk, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine.⅓ cup refined coconut oil, softened, 2 to 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon orange extract, optional, ½ teaspoon freshly grated orange zest, packed, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir just until there is no visible dry flour. If the dough seems dry add another tablespoon of milk.
- Fold in the pecans and chocolate. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of dough into your hand and roll it between your palms to compact it and form a ball. Now, press it between your palms to flatten the cookie. Place on the prepared pan. They don't spread much during baking, so one cookie sheet should be enough.½ cup raw pecan halves, chopped, ⅓ cup non-dairy chocolate chunks, roughly chopped
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly golden. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com.