These 7-ingredient, versatile vegan rice krispie treats are a tasty vehicle for CBD oil, but CBD is certainly not required!
Adapted from my 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, which was adapted from Dreena Burton's original rice krispie treats, the possibilities for substitutions and creativity in this recipe are endless! These coconut krispie treats are gluten-free and oil-free (other than the 2 teaspoons of CBD oil) and only take about 15 minutes of hands-on time.
I'm not exaggerating when I say that vegan rice krispie treats are one of my favorite recipes of all time. You can use any nut or seed butter you like. You can add coconut (which I did here), or mini chocolate chips, or chopped nuts, or spices, or cocoa, or extracts.... you get the picture.
In fact, during the holiday season I even made a date-sweetened gingerbread version (omg y'all, so good)!
These treats have the familiar crispy, chewy, and sweet experience you remember from childhood but without the cloying sweetness and sugar crash.
You'll want to share these treats with everyone, which is exactly why they're one of my go-to recipes for parties and potlucks. They take just minutes to prepare, travel well, and gives the vegans and gluten-free folks a dessert to enjoy.
How to Make Vegan Coconut Rice Krispie Treats
All you need is a large pot, an 8x8 baking pan, and some parchment paper. The process is super easy!
- Warm the syrup and coconut butter (or nut/seed butter of your choice) over low heat just long enough to melt the coconut butter and soften the syrup. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in the CBD oil, if using.
- Next, stir in the coconut flakes and rice cereal (I really like the 365 brand crispy brown rice cereal, but any rice krispies will do - just be sure to check ingredient lists if you're concerned about allergens). Stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into an 8x8 pan lined with parchment and press it down evenly. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes to help the treats set.
- If including the coconut glaze, warm the coconut butter and maple syrup in a small cup in the microwave. Add a splash of non-dairy milk to thin to the proper consistency for drizzling.
- Remove the pan from the fridge, and transfer the treats to a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares, and drizzle with the creamy, luscious coconut glaze!
The glaze will set after a few minutes (place in the fridge to speed up the process) making it easy to transfer the treats to a storage container and take them wherever you want to go!
Party? Picnic? Potluck? You're all set! Yummy vegan rice krispie treats save the day.
I hope you love these CBD-Infused Coconut Rice Krispie Treats as much as we do (no kidding, Mark said this was his favorite version ever).
If you try the recipe be sure to comment below and let us know!
You might also like:
- Easiest Almond Flour Cookies
- Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Cookie Dough Bites
- Spelt Cookies with Peanuts and Chocolate
- Coconut Garam Masala Muffins
- Vegan Peanut Butter Brownies
Vegan Coconut Rice Krispie Treats With CBD Oil
- ½ cup coconut butter or sub nut or seed butter of choice
- ½ cup brown rice syrup
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3.75 cups crispy rice cereal - my favorite is the 365 brand brown rice crisps cereal
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tsp CBD oil, optional
For the coconut glaze:
- 3 Tbsp coconut butter
- 1 Tbsp maple or agave syrup
- 1 to 2 Tbsp non-dairy milk for thinning
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. Allow paper to overhang edges for easy removal.
- In a large pot warm the coconut butter, brown rice syrup, and maple over medium-low heat. Whisk until smooth and warm, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the CBD oil, if using.
- Stir the cereal and coconut flakes into the syrup mixture using a large, sturdy spoon. Continue mixing until all the cereal is incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the lined pan. Use the back of a spatula and a piece of parchment paper (to prevent sticking) to press it down evenly into the pan. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine the coconut butter and maple syrup. Warm in the microwave for just 10 to 15 seconds and stir. Add 1 tablespoon of milk and stir to combine. Microwave for a few more seconds as needed so that the coconut butter becomes smooth. If the consistency seems too thick, add ½ to 1 tablespoon of milk. If it seems too thin, add a bit more coconut butter.
- Cut the rice krispie treats into 16 squares. Drizzle with the coconut butter glaze, and refrigerate for about 10 minutes to set.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com.