Quick, easy, deliciously nutty spelt cookies with peanuts, peanut butter, and gooey, melted chocolate. This wholesome cookie dough is oil-free and naturally sweetened.
These Spelt Cookies With Peanuts and Chocolate are my kind of cookie. In a way, they sort of perfectly represent my food philosophy. This is a cookie that stands firmly in the middle of the aisle. On one side you have the typical sugary, oily, decadent, refined-flour cookies, and on the other side are your fat-free, fruit-sweetened, whole-grain, you-can-barely-call-it-a-cookie cookies. The way I see it, this is a cookie that bridges gaps. This cookie says, "I understand that quality ingredients and nutrition are important to you, but you also value flavor and texture and still want me to taste like a cookie."
These vegan spelt cookies can satisfy a craving but won't leave you with a sugar crash. So even if you're not sure about this approach, I encourage you to give it a try. In case you can't tell from my description above, this is a very persuasive cookie! 😉 It may not taste exactly like grandma's, but this spelt cookie has perks of its own.
Wholesome Ingredients in Vegan Spelt Cookies
- I replaced the oil and butter typically found in cookies with fats that are more wholesome. Coconut butter and peanut butter get the job done well. I won't say the exterior gets quite as crispy, but it's pretty darn close. And the interior is sort of perfect, both slightly chewy and cake-like. I probably won't label these "oil-free" because of the the chocolate, but technically, the dough is oil-free.
- Instead of sweetening these with white and/or brown sugar, I chose a combination of maple syrup (because YUM; I use it in everything) and coconut sugar. Both of these are less refined and don't seem to spike blood sugar quite as much.
- A word on that..... I don't always choose ingredients based on their nutrition. Sometimes it feels equally as important to simply choose them based on how they make us feel. Because even if I'm in the mood for a sweet treat, knowing that it may leave me tired and in a sugar coma actually detracts from the enjoyment. I don't like that sluggish, icky feeling, and a few bites of something delicious really isn't worth it most of the time.
- Instead of all-purpose flour I chose spelt flour for these cookies. It contains at least four times as much fiber plus some micronutrients. And, the slightly nutty flavor pairs well with peanuts and chocolate.
- For the chocolate, choose a good quality bar of dark chocolate in the 65-70% cacao range. Chopping it yourself (versus using chocolate chips or chunks, which hold their shape) is how you get melty, gooey, irresistible pools of chocolate. **If you strictly avoid oil and refined sugar, you can omit the chocolate and simply enjoy these as a peanut butter cookie.
The Basic Process of Making Cookies
Making these spelt cookies is just as easy as making any other kind of cookie. Even if you're not much of a baker, I promise it's super easy! Here's a summary (be sure to scroll down for the full recipe):
- Preheat the oven and prep two baking sheets.
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Warm the coconut butter in a small bowl in the microwave or a small pot on the stove. Whisk in the peanut butter, sweeteners, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir to combine. Fold the peanuts and chocolate into the dough.
- Form the cookies and place two inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Right out of the oven, sprinkle with a bit of Maldon sea salt, if desired.
And that's it! Warm, peanutty, chocolatey cookies are ready to be enjoyed.
I hope you try these delicious Spelt Cookies with Peanuts and Chocolate and enjoy them as much as we do! As always, I would love to hear your feedback.... you can rate the recipe below, leave a comment, and tag your cookie photos @myquietkitchen on instagram!
More vegan sweet treats:
Oil-Free Banana Brownies
Oil-Free Almond Flour Thumbprint Cookies
Healthy One-Bowl Peanut Butter Cookies
One-Bowl Orange-Tahini Cookies
Roasted Honeynut Squash and Rosemary Cookies
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (oil-free; oat flour)
Spelt Cookies With Peanuts and Chocolate
- 1 ¼ cups spelt flour (170 g)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅓ cup coconut butter - (see Notes regarding making your own coconut butter)
- 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter, salted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- pinch of flaked salt, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and line two baking pans with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl warm the coconut butter in a microwave until just barely softened. Alternatively, warm it in a small sauce pan on the stove. Add the peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar, milk, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until a dough forms. Fold in the peanuts and chunks of chocolate.
- Scoop about two tablespoons of dough into your hand and flatten/form into a cookie shape. Place on the prepared pans about two inches apart. The cookies will spread slightly during baking but not a lot.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until the bottoms are golden and the chocolate is melted. Allow cookies to cool on the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com.