Easy to prepare vegan banana nut muffins with a delicious maple-cinnamon swirl throughout! These tasty muffins are oil- and refined sugar-free and can be gluten-free with the use of certified GF oats. Wholesome enough for breakfast yet tasty enough for those times when you crave a sweet treat.
Hi Friends, I'm hooked on these Banana Nut Cinnamon Swirl Muffins. This is one of those recipes that checks all the boxes:
Healthy? Check. Quick and easy? Check. Vegan? Obviously. Gluten-free? Yep, if you use GF certified oats. Refined sugar-free? Check. A great answer to the question "What are we gonna do with all these overripe bananas?" Check!
Nine ingredients, a couple of bowls and utensils, and one muffin pan are all you need.
Filled with bananas, cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup, you can imagine how amazing these smell. I also love that they provide a healthy dose of fiber from the wholesome plant ingredients PLUS omega 3 fat from the walnuts. These easily pass the test as a healthy breakfast or snack.
The next time you've got some spotty bananas hanging out on the kitchen counter, put them to good use. Give these Banana Nut Cinnamon Swirl Muffins a try, and let me know what you think!
You might also like these oil-free vegan recipes:
Vegan Banana Nut Cinnamon Swirl Muffins
For the muffins:
- 1 2/3 cups mashed ripe banana (from about 3 large very ripe bananas)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened milk, such as almond, oat or soy
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour (if making your own in high speed blender, start with approx 2 1/4 cups oats)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, chopped
For the swirl:
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil or line a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Place peeled bananas in a medium/large bowl, and use your hand to squeeze and squish them until mostly pureed (it's okay if some larger pieces remain). Measure to make sure you have close to 1 2/3 cups banana. Add the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla to the bananas and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine the oat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts.
- In a small bowl or mug, mix together the 2 tsp cinnamon and 3 Tbsp maple syrup for the swirl, and set aside.
- Pour dry ingredients into the wet and stir until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spoon a small amount of batter into each muffin cup. Aim for just enough to cover the bottoms, only filling the cups about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way. See photo below.
- Now drizzle each one with about 2/3 of a teaspoon of the cinnamon swirl. This doesn't need to be precise. Aim to use about half of the swirl mixture on this layer, saving the rest for the tops.
- Evenly divide the remaining batter among the muffin cups, and drizzle the remaining cinnamon swirl mixture on the tops.
- Sprinkle walnuts on top of each muffin and bake for 19-22 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan 5-10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.