Are you ready for an easy and ultra flavorful creamy kale soup? Just when you thought you didn’t need another way to eat kale, I’m here to tell you…. you’ve got to try this Cream of Kale Soup! If you’re a fan of minimal ingredients, minimal prep, and maximum flavor, you’ll love it.
How to make Vegan Cream of Kale Soup
To make this soup you’ll need:
- knife and cutting board
- soup pot
- and just six ingredients: onion, garlic, kale, coconut milk (the canned type), nutmeg and nutritional yeast (plus, water, salt & pepper)
You’ll chop and sauté a few vegetables, simmer the soup for about 5 minutes, blend a portion of it (as much as you want), and then serve. It’s as easy as that!
This soup is also great for meal prep because as with most soups, the leftovers taste even better.
But let’s say you didn’t meal prep, and you come home from work tired and hangry. When you spot that bunch of kale in the fridge, and think “Ooooh, I really should cook that before it goes bad….but how?” Here’s your answer! You’re less than 30 minutes away from a delicious dinner AND eating your greens.
Easy homemade croutons to go with your soup
If you have ten minutes to spare (like while the soup is cooling, before you put it in the blender), why not make yourself some homemade croutons? Just cut a few slices of sourdough bread into cubes, and toss it with a tablespoon of olive oil, some dried thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake at 375 degrees for ten minutes or until toasted.
The only hard part about making croutons is not eating the whole pan before you even sit down to dinner.
If you try this Cream of Kale Soup I would love to hear from you! Tag a pic with @myquietkitchen on instagram, and don’t forget to rate the recipe below and let us know how it goes.
More vegan soup recipes:
Cream of Kale Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, optional
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 (14 fl oz) cans light coconut milk (good quality; opt for name brands vs generic)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 to 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- scant 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 ounces kale, chopped
- black pepper
- Preheat a stock pot over medium heat. Add the oil and onion. Cook until translucent and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Add 1 can of the coconut milk, 2 cups of water, salt, nutritional yeast, nutmeg and kale. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 4 to 5 minutes. Uncover and remove from heat. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour the other can of coconut milk and about 2/3 of the soup into a blender. **Caution: hot liquids can expand inside a covered blender. Be careful and don't fill the blender more than half full. Start slowly and vent the top. Work in batches if necessary.**
- Blend until creamy. Pour the blended soup back into the soup pot with the unblended portion. Add black pepper and stir to combine. Serve with vegan cheese and fresh croutons, if desired.