This creamy Vegan Tuscan White Bean Soup only takes 30 minutes to prepare and is filled with nutritious vegetables, potato, cannellini beans, and dried herbs. With 11 grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein per serving, it makes a satisfying lunch or dinner. Nut-free with gluten-free and oil-free options.
Classic Tuscan white bean soup recipes are usually fairly similar and made with ingredients like onion, carrot, celery, and kale. But many also include sausage, parmesan, and even cream.
So I wanted to share this fully plant-based version that we've been enjoying recently at our house. It begins with a simple sauté of onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and dried herbs. Then a bit of flour and non-dairy milk add creaminess. I find this soup particularly easy to love because it's:
Creamy yet light
Great for meal prep
Made in 1 pot
With easy-to-find ingredients
Nut- and coconut-free
How to Make Creamy Vegan White Bean Soup
Aside from washing and chopping the vegetables, this vegan white bean soup really is a breeze to prepare. If you're new to cooking, there's no reason at all to be intimidated! Before you know it you'll have a pot full of gorgeous soup to share with friends or to enjoy throughout the week.
I'll walk you through the basic steps in the photos below...
This is just a summary to help you visualize the cooking process. Be sure to scroll all the way down for the full recipe.
1. Begin by sautéing the onion, celery, and carrot for a few minutes.
2. Add the dried herbs and garlic.
3. Sprinkle the flour into the pot, and stir to distribute.
4. Add non-dairy milk, and whisk to dissolve the flour.
5. Cook until the milk/flour mixture has thickened.
6. Add water, broth, and potato, and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the beans, kale, and liquid smoke (optional). Cook until the potatoes are tender. Stir in lemon juice.
And that's it! Time to dig in.
Serve this vegan white bean soup with crusty bread and a side salad for a wholesome meal anyone will love.
I hope you enjoy this creamy Tuscan white bean soup! Be sure to drop a comment and a star rating below if you give it a try.
If you're on instagram tag a photo of your yummy soup with @myquietkitchen. I always love to see what you're making!
More vegan soup recipes:
Vegan Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, optional Omit for oil-free; use broth or water as needed during saute.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour *See Notes Sub white whole-wheat for a whole-grain option. For GF omit or sub rice or garbanzo flour.
- 1 cup plain unsweetened non-dairy milk I used soy.
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large red potato, chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (about 3.5 cups cooked beans)
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed, chopped
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- Preheat a soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil, if using. Saute the onion for 2 to 3 minutes or until barely translucent. Add the celery and carrot, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, parsley, oregano, red pepper, black pepper, and salt. Stirring frequently, cook for about 1 minute. Sprinkle flour into the pot, and stir to distribute.
- Add the milk, and whisk to dissolve the flour. Bring to a simmer, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the water, broth, and potato. Simmer until the potato is barely fork tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans, kale, and liquid smoke, if using, and simmer for about 5 more minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. The soup will continue to thicken as it rests.