This vegan Cajun Tofu Scramble is packed with nutritious veggies, spices, protein and fiber. Perfect for those days when you want a hearty and savory breakfast. It's delicious all by itself, or serve it with whole grain toast, biscuits, or rice for even more staying power. Pair leftovers with a side salad for a quick lunch or dinner.
I'm a huge fan of Cajun and Creole flavors. How about you? (I'm also a bit obsessed with New Orleans, but that's a story for another day.)
I also love tofu scrambles....yet there isn't a scramble recipe on the blog! So we're going to fix that right now.
Coincidentally, tomorrow happens to be Fat Tuesday AND my birthday, so I'm feeling festive and celebratory! And this birthday girl felt like adding delicious Louisiana flavors to a healthy vegan dish because that's how we roll.
I also made a not-so-healthy cake for my birthday, as you can see in this instagram post.
So What's in Cajun Tofu Scramble?
If you've made a tofu scramble before you know how simple and filling they are and that they're also a blank slate flavor-wise. Usually you'll find aromatics like onion, garlic, and peppers, seasonings like turmeric and nutritional yeast for color, and even greens for added nutrition.
For this tofu scramble, we're going to omit the turmeric (because we really don't need it), add celery and bell pepper to our onion and garlic, and use cayenne, thyme, paprika, and oregano for more Cajun flair.
Oh, and of course, there's kale. I used lacinato kale in my tofu scramble, but Swiss chard, spinach, or arugula would also be great. You can also omit the greens if you don't have any on hand.
How to Make It
The basic process for making tofu scramble looks like this:
- Sauté the veggies (onion, celery, pepper, garlic). You can use oil or omit it. Totally up to you!
- Crumble the tofu into the pan.
- Add the seasonings and spices.
- Add the greens and cook until wilted.
- Top with fresh tomato and serve.
So simple! And you can imagine how nutritious this meal is, with such a nice variety of vegetables, plus protein- and Omega-3-rich tofu.
Ideas for Serving
If you're in the mood for a low-carb breakfast, Cajun Tofu Scramble is perfect by itself! However, breakfast breads pair perfectly with it.
For extra Cajun flair try this Oil-Free Cajun Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower!
If you're a lover of all things spicy, you can't go wrong adding a few dashes of hot sauce. And for some salty, cheesy, richness, go ahead and sprinkle vegan parm on top.
If you try this colorful and easy Cajun Tofu Scramble I would LOVE to see a photo! Just tag @myquietkitchen on instagram. And remember you can always leave feedback below in the comments and rate the recipe below.
More tofu recipes:
Cajun Tofu Scramble
- 1 Tbsp oil, optional
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound extra or super firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- ½ bunch greens of choice such as lacinato kale, chard or spinach; thick stems removed, large leaves chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium heat. If using oil, add it to the pan with the onion, celery and bell pepper. If not using oil, add a splash of water as needed to prevent sticking. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the onions are translucent, add the garlic, stir, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan. Sprinkle the tofu with the nutritional yeast, salt, cayenne, paprika, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Cook for several minutes or until the tofu is hot. Add a splash of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the chopped greens to the pan, stir to combine, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until the greens are softened. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with fresh tomato.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com.