This cheesy JUST Egg Scramble is loaded with your favorite veggies and ready in minutes. It's a quick and satisfying meal any time of day! Read on to learn how to perfectly scramble this plant-based egg and for more JUST Egg recipes and ideas!
I first tried JUST Egg a couple of years ago while brainstorming how to make a vegan version of my family's favorite corn pudding recipe.
Traditional corn pudding consists primarily of eggs and dairy. So I was afraid I had a really difficult, if not impossible, road of experimentation ahead. But then it dawned on me... JUST Egg!
And holy moly, it worked perfectly! Plus it made preparing the recipe so, so simple.
Best of all, the feedback I've received from you on the corn pudding has been amazing! The results taste so much like the classic egg dish it's ridiculous.
Anyway, that recipe really opened my eyes to the possibilities of what we can do with JUST Egg. Veganizing everything from quiche to baked goods to scrambled eggs just got so much easier.
What's in Just Egg?
The main ingredients are water, isolated mung bean protein, and expeller-pressed canola oil.
Turmeric and carrot extractives are used for color. There is also a small amount of gellan gum for texture, sugar for flavor, and preservatives.
Honestly, the JUST website is not the most user-friendly. So to save you the headache of trying to find the answers you're looking for, here is the official ingredient list for bottled JUST Egg:
Water, Mung Bean Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Contains less than 2% of Dehydrated Onion, Gellan Gum, Natural Carrot Extractives (color), Natural Flavors, Natural Turmeric Extractives (color), Potassium Citrate, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Sugar, Tapioca Syrup, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Transglutaminase, Nisin (preservative). Contains soy.
Where can I buy Just Egg?
If you're in the US, be sure to check the store finder on the JUST website. Just Egg products are widely available in grocery stores and specialty markets. They can also be ordered online via Amazon/Whole Foods, Instacart, Target, and WalMart.
Is Just Egg available outside the US?
Yes. JUST Egg has been expanding to other major markets outside of the U.S. since its launch here in 2019. Most recently the company gained approval to expand to Europe. It is also available in Canada, Singapore, and parts of China (possibly other countries).
In fact, in addition to California and Minnesota, JUST also has offices in Shanghai and Singapore.
The JUST Egg footprint is constantly evolving so be sure to check their website and search the web for the latest news.
Ingredients for the Scramble
There's plenty of room to experiment. Use your favorite veggies and vegan cheese or whatever you have on hand.
- JUST Egg - there are several Just Egg products available these days, but we're using the liquid version in the bottle for our scramble.
- veggies - I used red onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, and spinach. Try mushrooms, asparagus, arugula, shallot, finely chopped kale, and more!
- vegan cheese - from mild to strong, any type of shredded or crumbled plant-based cheese you love will be great! See the Variations section below for specific suggestions.
- salt and pepper - depending on how much cheese you add you might not need additional salt; for extra egg-y flavor add a tiny pinch of kala namak black salt at the end of cooking.
How to Scramble Just Egg
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and peppers for 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Pour the Just Egg into the pan, and let stand for a few seconds. Using a silicone spatula, start to scrape the egg away from the edges of the pan toward the center, similar to scrambling chicken's eggs.
- When the JUST Egg is almost fully set and curdled, add the cheese and chopped baby spinach. Toss and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the greens are wilted and cheese melted. Serve hot.
Top tip! Don't over-cook JUST Egg. Once it's fully "set" and clumping, you're ready to eat! We like it best when there's still a slight creaminess to the scramble.
A good quality non-stick pan is important for scrambled JUST Egg, especially if you're not adding any oil or butter to the pan.
You'll also need a silicone spatula to toss and scramble the JUST Egg without scratching the non-stick surface.
A cast iron skillet works, too, but you will need to add a little oil or vegan butter to the pan first.
Scrambled JUST Egg is perfect with toasted bread. Think English muffins, bagels, or plain toast!
You also can't go wrong with homemade Southern-style biscuits or a tall stack of vegan pancakes.
Serve with this homemade vegan breakfast sausage for a fully plant-based breakfast even non-vegans will love.
Variations & Additions
- with vegan meat - so many possibilities! Add store-bought or homemade vegan bacon bits, tempeh bacon, tofu chorizo, seasoned and ground taco meat, or cubed seitan. Vegan pepperoni is a personal favorite addition to plant-based eggs!
- spicy - add Tabasco or other prepared hot sauce, and bump up the jalapeno.
- cheese-lover's - use 2 or 3 different kinds of vegan cheese! Try this homemade vegan feta, Parmesan, or mild queso fresco. Follow Your Heart's vegan bleu cheese is also amazing when you're craving something stronger.
- Tex-Mex - add thick salsa or pico de gallo, and garnish with cilantro and avocado/guacamole.
- with herbs - fresh thyme, dill, chives, or oregano pair well with scrambled JUST Egg.
More Just Egg Recipes
Here are a few more delicious ways to use JUST Egg!
- Weeknight Vegan Fried Rice
- Vegan Corn Pudding
- Just Egg Omelette - by Vegan Huggs
- Vegan French Toast Casserole - by Home Cooked Roots
- 5 Quick Mug Meals Using Just Egg! - company website
According to the packaging, 3 tablespoons of JUST Egg (called 1 serving) is the equivalent of one chicken egg. Keep in mind that when scrambling JUST Egg, you'll need 2 to 3 times this amount per person.
As long as you're using a good-quality (not scratched or damaged), non-stick pan you can scramble JUST Egg without any additional fat. If in doubt, a pat of vegan butter or spray of oil can help prevent sticking.
According to the company website, JUST Egg should not be frozen. However, plenty of people have tried it without issue. If you'd like to freeze liquid JUST Egg, pour it into a freezer-safe container, leaving room for the liquid to expand.
More egg-y vegan recipes:
If you try the recipe I would love to hear from you. Comment below to let us know and be sure to share your other favorite ways to use JUST Egg!
Ultimate Vegan Just Egg Scramble
- ¾ cup liquid JUST Egg - half of a standard 12 oz. bottle
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ small jalapeno, seeded and chopped, optional
- ⅓ cup shredded vegan cheese - such as mozzarella, cheddar, or smoked provolone
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach, chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper - for extra eggy flavor use a pinch of kala namak (black salt); see Notes
- Preheat a heavy-bottomed, non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and peppers for 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened.½ small red onion, chopped, ½ medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, ½ small jalapeno, seeded and chopped, optional
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Pour the Just Egg into the pan, and let stand for a few seconds. Using a silicone spatula, begin to scrape the egg away from the edges of the pan toward the center, similar to scrambling chicken eggs.¾ cup liquid JUST Egg
- When the JUST Egg is almost fully set and curdled, add the cheese and chopped baby spinach. Toss and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted and cheese melted. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve hot.⅓ cup shredded vegan cheese, 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach, chopped, pinch of salt and pepper
- with vegan meat - add store-bought or homemade vegan bacon bits, tempeh bacon, seasoned taco meat, or cubed seitan. Vegan pepperoni is a personal favorite addition to plant-based eggs!
- spicy - add Tabasco or other prepared hot sauce, and add more jalapeno.
- cheese-lover's - use 2 or 3 different kinds of vegan cheese! Try this homemade vegan feta, Parmesan, or mild queso fresco.
- Tex-Mex - add salsa or pico de gallo, and garnish with cilantro and avocado/guacamole.
- with herbs - fresh thyme, dill, chives, or oregano
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com.