This colorful and nutrient-packed Kale and Golden Beet Salad comes together in about 20 minutes and is a perfect side dish or start to a meal. Add beans, starchy vegetables, and/or grains to transform it into a satisfying main dish. Naturally gluten-free with an oil-free option.
Even for folks like myself who are on the fence about beets, eating them raw, especially golden beets, can be delightful! When red beets are cooked, as they so often are, their earthiness can be a bit strong. And while I would never turn my nose up at them, they’ve never really been a favorite. Golden beets, on the other hand, have a milder flavor, and I also find them easier to work with because they don’t stain everything in sight!
How about you? Do you have a beet preference? Have you tried them raw in salads? If not I hope you’ll give this Kale and Golden Beet Salad a try. The bright acidity of champagne vinegar and dijon mingles with a touch of sweetness from maple syrup and golden raisins. A sprinkling of pistachios adds crunch and even more nutrition. And if you like a bit of heat, this salad is delicious with crushed red pepper or black pepper.
Feel free to use curly kale instead of lacinato. You can’t go wrong either way.
And for variety, try one of these tahini dressings instead of the champagne vinaigrette.
With minimal prep and zero cook time, you’ll have this gorgeous salad on the table in a snap! As always I would love to see a photo. Just share it on instagram and tag @myquietkitchen to show off your healthy eats.
Here’s to eating the rainbow!
Interested in more kale recipes? You might also like Cream of Kale Soup, Sweet Potatoes With Lemony Kale and White Beans, and Sweet Mustard Tofu Bowl With Millet Pilaf and Greens.
For another colorful raw salad, check out this Carrot Raisin Salad With Tahini and Sriracha.
Kale and Golden Beet Salad With Champagne Vinaigrette
- 1 large bunch lacinato (Tuscan) kale, thick stems removed, chopped
- 2 golden beets, peeled and thinly sliced or cubed
- 1/3 cup unsalted pistachios
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
For the vinaigrette:
- 3 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, sub cashew butter for oil-free
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and let stand for a few minutes.
- Put the kale in a large bowl and pour most of the dressing on top. Use your hands to gently massage the dressing into the kale leaves. Add the beets to the bowl and toss to coat. If needed, add the rest of the dressing. Alternatively, reserve it for individual serving dishes.
- Sprinkle the salad with pistachios and red pepper, if using, and serve.