Deliciously nutty, vegan roasted broccoli is the perfect veggie side dish for any occasion. Florets are oven-roasted with garlic and tossed with lemon juice, zest, and vegan parmesan cheese.
I'm a broccoli lover, myself, but I know a lot of people struggle with it. If that's you, or you have a broccoli skeptic in your household, I'm convinced that this cheesy, lemon-y, roasted broccoli is the way to go.
Skip the steaming, and go right to roasting because this cooking method brings out the most amazing qualities in broccoli.
Already a fan? You'll love this Roasted Broccoli Bowl With Sunbutter Sauce.
This is one of those simple, go-to broccoli recipes that's perfect anytime, from a regular weeknight to Christmas dinner. You'll need just a handful of ingredients and about 35 minutes to prepare it:
- 2 pounds broccoli - or less if you're cooking for just one or two people
- 4 cloves garlic
- olive oil - or sub lemon juice to make it oil-free
- zest from 1 lemon plus about 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- vegan parmesan cheese such as Violife or homemade vegan Parm
Step By Step Process
Getting perfectly roasted broccoli is easy. The basic process looks like this:
- Cut broccoli into somewhat evenly sized florets.
- Toss broccoli and garlic with olive oil, or use lemon juice for an oil-free option. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated 425 degree oven for 22 to 25 minutes.
- Immediately toss with lemon zest, lemon juice, and vegan parmesan cheese.
The residual heat from the pan will begin to melt the cheese, and you'll be tempted to snack on these little green trees straight from the pan. Who could blame you?
Feeling like something more? Toss in some Vegan Bacon Bits or toasted pine nuts or pecans!
Serving Suggestions and Pairings
Serve vegan roasted broccoli fresh from the oven alongside your favorite vegan main dish and/or pasta or grain, such as:
I also love pairing plain roasted broccoli with Vegan Pimento Cheese! Simply omit the lemon and parmesan, and place a big dollop of pimento cheese on the broccoli. Irresistible!
- For the best crisp-tender texture, after washing the broccoli pat it dry with a towel. We want it to roast, not steam.
- For the same reason make sure the broccoli is in a single layer on the baking sheet. Use two sheets if necessary.
- Spend an extra couple of minutes cutting the florets so that they're similar in size. Some variation is unavoidable, but cutting larger pieces in half so that they're closer in size to the small florets will yield the best results.
- Roasting broccoli at a high temperature is key to creating the lovely crispy bits on the outside, without turning the insides to mush.
- Place oven rack in center of oven so pan isn't too close to the heat.
I hope you enjoy this Vegan Parmesan Roasted Broccoli as much as we do. If you try the recipe be sure to comment below and let us know how it turned out.
Vegan Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- 2 pounds broccoli crowns
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil See Notes for oil-free.
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus a pinch for final seasoning
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ounce vegan parmesan cheese, grated See Notes for homemade option.
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Line one large sheet pan or two standard size baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To prepare the broccoli, cut the florets from the thick stalks, discarding the bottom part of the stalks. Cut the larger florets in half lengthwise, so that all the pieces are somewhat similar in size.
- Place the broccoli florets and garlic on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to distribute the oil, and arrange florets in a single layer, using a second baking sheet if necessary.
- Roast for 22 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned. Remove from oven and immediately toss with lemon zest, lemon juice, vegan parmesan, and a pinch of sea salt. Serve hot.