This vegan queso is so easy to make and has all of the cheesy, creamy, rich flavor you crave! Like us, you'll probably find yourself wanting to drizzle it on everything. And it's so quick, light, and healthy you can!
So grab some tortilla chips, and get ready for some supremely delicious and surprisingly healthy snacking. This vegan queso is oil-free, made with whole food ingredients (WFPB), gluten-free, soy-free, and pantry-friendly! Only 4 grams of fat per serving.
Why You'll Love It
The better question is what’s NOT to love about this easy vegan queso! Aside from the obvious perk that it's dairy-free AND oil-free, this cashew queso is also ridiculously easy to make.
No need to prep or cook any vegetables like potatoes and carrots, which are often used in vegan cheese sauces.
This vegan queso dip is made with common pantry staples, which means you can whip up a batch in minutes!
Another thing we really love about homemade vegan queso is the versatility.
The recipe I'm sharing today is our favorite way to make vegan queso.
But once you know the basic formula for creating this cheesy dip, you can easily tailor it to suit your tastes or to accommodate the ingredients you have on hand. For example:
- Not into spiciness? Omit the chipotle and choose a mild salsa.
- Want more heat? Increase the chipotle flakes or add chipotle in adobo sauce.
- Don't have smoked paprika? Leave it out and choose a smoky, chipotle salsa.
- Love cumin? Double it!
- Want a thicker, richer, more decadent vegan queso? Increase the cashews and maybe even add some Violife or Chao cheese to the blender.
Sometimes you want a recipe that tastes as MUCH like the traditional version as possible and I'm all about that! This vegan mac and cheese is a great example.
If you’re looking for a more indulgent queso recipe as an alternative to this one, I totally get it. Sometimes you're having people over or going to a party where you just want to impress them with epic vegan party food.
BUT I also love having healthier versions of our favorite dishes, ones we can whip up for ourselves on a regular old Tuesday just because we're craving something cheesy.
That's what today's recipe is all about!
What's in vegan queso? Just 9 ingredients plus water and salt!
- raw cashews - or use raw cashew butter if you don't have a high-speed blender. Note, this recipe only calls for ⅓ cup raw cashews, which is a lot less than most recipes. But even though this one is lower in fat and calories, it doesn't sacrifice flavor at all!
- tapioca starch - this thickens the dip and gives it that melty, stretchy, cheesy quality
- nutritional yeast - adds subtle cheesy flavor and umami
- lemon juice or rice vinegar - or use apple cider vinegar, if needed
- dried chipotle flakes - this is one of our favorite spices to keep on hand; it adds amazing smoky flavor
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
Most of the ingredients called for in this Oil-Free Vegan Queso recipe are shelf-stable. In other words, once you purchase the tapioca starch, smoked paprika, etc, you're all set!
When the mood strikes, just gather up the ingredients, and you're minutes away from a healthy vegan cheese dip. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty awesome. Sort of a vegan superpower, if you will!
How to Make Vegan Queso
For this recipe we are using cashews and water as our base.
If you need a nut-free option for this type of dip, other possible options are a blend of cannellini beans, raw sunflower seeds, and/or rolled oats.
Prep looks like this:
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until velvety smooth.
- Whisking frequently, cook the queso over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the tapioca starch has thickened.
See how quick that is? And the flavor is SO much better than any vegan queso product we've found in stores.
Ways to Use Vegan Queso
In addition to being a delicious dip, cashew queso pairs well with so many other foods. Try it on:
- baked or roasted potatoes and french fries
- rice and bean taco bowls
- roasted brussels sprouts (instead of the balsamic glaze)
- roasted broccoli
- seitan "chicken" nuggets
- tofu nuggets
- baked taquitos
- Tex-Mex chickpea burgers
- and air fryer stuffed peppers
We make this queso dip regularly and haven't gotten tired of it yet! The cheesy flavor is truly SO good. I hope you love it, too!
If you experiment with the spices and find a combo you enjoy I would love to hear about it! Drop a comment below, and rate the recipe to leave your feedback.
Cheers to healthier snacking!
More vegan cheese recipes:
- Vegan Pimento Cheese (a must try!)
- Vegan Feta Cheese
- 5-Minute Vegan Cottage Cheese
- Easy Vegan Mozzarella
- 2-Ingredient Almond Ricotta
- Almond Queso Fresco
- Vegan Parm 3 Ways
Easy Vegan Queso
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ⅓ cup raw cashews (if you don't have a high speed blender, sub 3 Tbsp raw cashew butter)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch (sub 1 Tbsp corn starch if necessary) - *Tapioca starch provides the thick and stretchy element to this cheese sauce.
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 2 tsp plain rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chipotle flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup thick and chunky salsa or salsa of choice
- For smooth queso: combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until completely smooth. For chunky queso: combine all ingredients except salsa in a high speed blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour mixture into a small sauce pan. If making chunky queso, add the salsa now. Stirring frequently, cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until the queso has thickened. Taste and add more salsa if desired. Serve immediately.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary depending on the exact amounts and specific products and ingredients used. We calculate this information using the online calculator cronometer.com.